Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Not All That Different

Hello Again!

Sometimes when we look at other parts of the world, we see a completely different background. Whether it be a different ethnicity, culture, nationality, etc., we can't help but see something different. I have done that myself and to be honest, I still do that. Coming to Korea, I've seen similarities and differences. However, it was surprising to see similarities within our Ag Education system. Between the US and Korea, we have a very similar organization. The US has the FFA (Future Farmers of America) and South Korea has the FFK (Future Farmers of Korea).

Our school systems have similarities. When we went to Suwon High School, they seemed like regular high school kids. In my mind, I thought they would be to themselves and not interactive. However, being there and teaching I saw a different light. I was proven wrong and that's okay. Another similarity that I saw is that they have hands on learning, labs, greenhouses, ect. I loved seeing that.

However, I did see differences. I felt the students were more disciplined but in a good way. They had a good understanding of what the expectations were and kept themselves under control. Their value for education, I felt exceeded the US's. I'm  not saying US students don't value education but many don't take education seriously. Throughout a Korean student's life, they value and take it seriously.

The experience here has been amazing so far and I can't wait to update later!

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment